Weave this Tencel Wave Scarf
Strong, washable, and super soft, Tencel is the perfect (and affordable) alternative to silk. Sarah designed this beautiful weaving project using three cones of our 8/2 Tencel Weaving Yarn in complementing colors to create a soft gradient. Wind a warp long enough for three scarves and try weaving each scarf using a different weft color. This is a fun way to experiment with how different weft colors affect the same warp. See all the project details below and purchase a kit to get started!
- Tools Required: 4 shaft loom, shuttle & bobbins, fringe twister (optional)
- EPI: 24
- Width at Reed: 8"
- Warp Ends: 192
- Warp Length: 7.25 yards
- Draft: 2/2 Twill and Tabby Weave, adapted from a draft on page 33 of The Handweaver's Pattern Directory by Anne Dixon (see draft below)
- Finished Dimensions: 3 scarves that measure approximately 7" W x 68" L + 5" of fringe on each side
- Finishing Details: Hem stitch (optional), twisted fringe (optional)
- Care Instructions: Machine wash cold & tumble dry low, iron to bring out the shine
In the photos above, Color A is Silver, Color B is Sage, and Color C is Lime Green.
Warp Color Order: Warp the following pattern for a total of 192 warp ends.
12A - 1B - 5A - 2B - 4A - 1C - 1B - 2A - 4B - 2C - 4A - 3B - 1C - 4A - 3B - 1C - 4B - 6A - 4B - 2C - 4B - 2A - 8B - 2C - 2A - 2C - 8B - 6C - 6B - 2A - 8B - 8C - 4B - 2A - 4C - 4B - 6C - 2B - 2A - 10C - 4B - 8C - 4A - 2B - 8C - 2B - 6C
Weft Color Order: Weave scarf 1 with Color A as the weft, scarf 2 with Color B as the weft, and scarf 3 with Color C as the weft. Begin and end each scarf with hem stitch (optional) and leave 12" between scarves for fringe.
Repeat the following pattern alternating twill between twill and tabby on each scarf.
- 4" of twill
- 64" tabby
- 4" twill