Studio Assistant - GIST Yarn and Advah Designs
2 days per week (Mondays and Thursdays), with possibility to increase hours in the future.
GIST: Yarn & Fiber (www.gistyarn.com) is an online weaving yarn shop dedicated to providing beautiful + unusual weaving supplies to delight and inspire a growing community of makers and weavers. Advah Designs (www.advahdesigns.com) is a designer and manufacturer of Jewish prayer shawls (tallit), wedding canopies (chuppah), and Jewish art prints dedicated to creating beautiful, timeless designs made ethically and sustainably. Both businesses operate out of the same studio in Norwood, Mass.
This position is a unique opportunity to have a foot in two dynamic and growing small businesses, and to play an important role in helping them both to grow and thrive. You will also have the opportunity to learn firsthand about building and marketing eCommerce businesses, and working with textile mills and manufacturers. You will be joining a team of two other people in our studio.
- Manage all outbound shipping for Advah Designs including retail and wholesale customers, through Shopify, Amazon, and Etsy
- Manage all receiving for Advah Designs, including keeping accurate inventory counts in Shopify, and keeping studio area clean and tidy
- Coordinate drop shipping of art prints
- Help expand the direct to consumer market for Advah Designs tallitot through new creative ideas that you dream up. These can include forming new collaborations, social media marketing, in person events, etc.
- Manage all receiving of products for GIST Yarn, including taking inventory of new shipments and keeping accurate inventory counts in Shopify
- Operate the Cone Winder, ensuring that yarn winding keeps up with outgoing shipments
- Support the expanding operations of GIST Yarn by helping the Studio Coordinator with tasks including (but not limited to): outbound packing and shipping, shipping-related customer service inquiries, creating yarn color cards, and other projects as they arise
- This is a physical job requiring standing, walking, lifting, and ability to be on your feet most of the day. Regular lifting of 5-10 lbs., and occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Our studio warehouse can be a fast-paced environment with a lot of product moving in and out on a daily and weekly basis. At other times, there is more time to focus on new projects and computer work. We’re looking for someone who thrives at a fast pace, is flexible to shifting work priorities, and welcomes a challenge. Experience working in pressured environments (restaurants, warehouses, etc.) a plus.
- Team player excited to pitch in on new tasks where needed, and take initiative to improve systems and processes
- Experience with/passion for weaving and/or Judaica a plus
- Hourly wage dependent on experience, 2 days per week (Mondays and Thursdays)
- 2 weeks (32 hours) paid vacation, with 16 hours accrued at the start of the job, and 16 hours accrued every 6 months thereafter
- Paid sick time accrued in accordance with the MA Earned Sick Time law
- $300 annual professional development stipend, to be used at your discretion for any learning related to your job
- 20% off employee discount for both GIST Yarn and Advah Designs
- Fun, flexible work environment that aims to support your creativity and growth
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Studio Assistant in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Thanks for your interest!