Weave a Color-and-Weave Tea Towel Set
Color-and-Weave Tea Towels
October's tea towel feature is a gorgeous color-and-weave design by Jenny Sennott. Color-and-Weave is a great technique for rigid heddle weavers to explore more complex designs by using color order in the warp and weft to create intricate patterns. Using 2 giant skeins of our Italian Cotton/Linen yarn, a rigid heddle loom and plain weave you can create a set of these beautiful towels for your kitchen.
Jenny writes, "I used this yarn doubled in both warp and weft to create four thirsty, medium weight towels. The weaving is simple plain weave, but playing with the weft color order creates a variety of towels on a single warp. Wind a longer warp and try other weft color orders. You will probably run out of warp before you run out of ideas."
- Tools Required: 2-4 shaft floor loom or rigid heddle loom with a 20" width, 12 dent reed, two shuttles
- EPI: 12 with yarn strands doubled
- Width at Reed: 19.8"
- Warp Ends: 238 working ends (counting each doubled strand as one)
- Warp Length: 5 yards
- Draft: Plain Weave
- Length of One Towel Under Tension: 34"
- Finished Dimensions: 4 towels that each measure approximately 18" wide by 25.75" long
- Finishing Details: Rolled hem stitched by hand or machine
- Care Instructions: Machine wash cold, tumble dry low, or air dry if preferred
Warp Color Order:
D = a Dark yarn, L = a Light yarn
- (D D D L D D D L L L L) Repeat this sequence 21 times
- End with (D D D L D D D) for a total of 238 working ends
Weft Color Order:
- Option 1 (Darker): D D D L D L D L
- Option 2 (Lighter): L L L D L D L D
- See draft for a mock-up of these options
Weave 2” hems using a single strand as weft. Then, weave 30” of color work using yarns doubled on shuttles and following the weft color order.
Finishing: Jenny writes, " Zigzag ends of both towels. Cut apart and machine wash in cool water, normal cycle. Tumble dry on low. Turn hem edges twice for rolled hems, and press. Stitch hems by hand or by machine." If you do not have a sewing machine you can easily complete the rolled hem by hand and wash the towels once you are finished sewing.